Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Big Adventure

I guess starting this blog is the real big adventure. For years I have been posting weekly comments on the church website and calling it a blog. No one was fooled, however, into thinking that my one-way communication was anything remotely like the give and take you have on a blog. So, out of necessity, I have joined the 21st century and started an actual blog where people can communicate with me and each other and a real conversation can begin.

The reason for starting this now is that I am leaving tomorrow on another kind of big adventure. My husband and I are joining a group from Saint Paul School of Theology, my alma mater, and flying to Cape Town, South Africa. I have traveled internationally only one other time, and Clif and I have never taken an international trip together. The purpose of this particular trip is to learn about the history and culture of South Africa, as well as see first-hand what some of the ministry challenges are and how people of faith are responding to the needs around them. It will be an unusual mix of incredible beauty (staying in a Bed and Breakfast on the Indian Ocean), and heart-breaking sadness (touring orphanages and AIDS ministries).

My next post will be after we land in Cape Town, and I hope to write daily and post pictures of our trip. Check back on Tuesday and see how the adventure began.

1 comment:

Andy B. said...

Hooray! My prayers are with you.