Sunday, January 20, 2008

Real Africa

We have experienced so much here that is real - real people, real history, real struggles with poverty and AIDS. But today we got to see something else real - real worship. We attended the JL Zwane Church in Gugulethu township, and even though we didn't understand the prayers, songs and sermon that were in the Xhosa language, we understood the spirit of the people who gathered to worship God. The people dressed in their best clothes, and the sounds of their voices filled the building and spilled out into the streets as they offered their songs to God. We sang along when we could (they sang the chorus of "It is well with my soul" after a woman shared her testimony), and we clapped along when we couldn't sing. The service was a powerful reminder that our God is in all places, listening to the prayers of our African brothers and sisters just as He listens to us.

JL Zwane Church

As I write this, worship is happening at Living Water. I know that God is present in our church in Parkville, just as God has been present here with us in so many ways. I will have so much to share when I return to the pulpit next Sunday.

After worship we had another real African experience. We drove to Cape Point to see the spectacular scenery, and we encountered baboons who have discovered that getting food from tourists in easier than finding it in the wild. This is actually a very serious situation, and we were warned that we should never give them food, but it was still somewhat humorous to see them wandering around, hanging out where the people are. On our way back to the Bed and Breakfast, we stopped by a beach with a penguin colony. It was so cool to see penguins right in front of me! They are called African penguins, but they used to be called Jackass penguins because they make a sound like donkey.

baboon familyAfrican Penguins at Boulder's Beach

Tomorrow we begin the long journey home. I will continue to reflect on this trip here on my blog for the next few days (as Internet access allows), and I will begin preparing for my sermon next Sunday. But I already know that this trip has impacted me in many ways, and my life and ministry will be changed because of what has happened here. I look forward to sharing more of my reflections with you in the days, weeks and months to come.

1 comment:

Munckle Icky said...

Laura,
You comment on the changes in your understanding as a result of the trip.
Marje and I had a siilar change of lif when we visited the refugee camp outside Jericho in 1951.
Thanks for the blog, and letting us see into your life and experience.
Munkle Icky