Friday, May 27, 2011

New Journey

So I'm getting ready to go on sabbatical - a journey in itself. But in my case, the Lilly Endowment saw fit to fulfill my grant request for a "trip of a lifetime" sabbatical. So that is the journey that will frame the real journey - my journey to re-discover my call and re-ignite my passion for ministry.

I wanted to blog this sabbatical experience, and I knew that I already had a blog out there somewhere - floating around in space on the great trash-heap of abandoned blogs from well-intentioned bloggers who got bored and distracted after a few weeks or months of writing down thoughts. But I logged on Blogger and - viola! - I found my blog. Actually, it was very cool. I started it (and ended it) with a trip to South Africa three years ago. Seeing those photos and reading about all I saw and did on that trip has made me more excited for the next adventure. So instead of starting on a fresh blog, I thought I might as well just use this perfectly good one (it's only slightly used). It seems fitting anyway. Our lives are not made up of building blocks of experiences, each contained in its own wall of beginning and ending. Our experiences bleed into each other, affecting each other, changing our perceptions of things that happened to us long ago. So what I saw in Cape Town will inform what I see in Germany and Tanzania and Nashville and my sister's farm in Illinois.

If you ever wanted to know what goes on in the mind of a suburban, white, middle class, mainline, American, middle aged pastor's head as she takes a trip to visit the family of her exchange student then preach a crusade in Tanzania then go on a safari (a safari?!?), feel free to read along...for as long as I feel like blogging anyway.

1 comment:

Clif Guy said...

Sounds fun. Can I go too?