Monday, June 13, 2011

Africa Before Me

I have never entered into something as unknown as this experience. I have only traveled internationally with well-organized groups. There has always been contact information, daily schedules, experts who know what Americans need when they travel abroad so that we won't get sick or be uncomfortable.

Even traveling to Haiti earlier this year wasn't too stressful because my daughter happened to be the expert who tells all the American groups what they need to know, and she makes all the arrangements. But this is different. Going to Dodoma to meet Erasto and preach is not something well-organized. There are no daily schedules printed out for me. I'm not sure if there will be experts who will know the ways to prepare food for us so we don't get sick. It's not that we're the first western visitors to Dodoma. Far from it! We have had good email conversations with missionaries from Texas who are there with Omega Missions. They have been very helpful, and they have spoken with Erasto about my visit. But I'm not staying with them. They did not make my travel arrangements. It's been up to me and Clif to figure out how to get there (fly to Kilimanjaro, hire a driver to take us to Arusha, fly on a prop plane with Mission Aviation Fellowship, stay at the MAF Guest House in Dodoma, take a bus back to Arusha because MAF doesn't fly on the day we need to get back). It's not brain surgery, but it is a little un-nerving for this "detail" person.

There is so much I don't know right now. I don't know that all our arrangements will actually work out. I don't know what I'll be doing during the days I am there. I don't know what time the preaching crusades will start or end or even where they'll be. I don't know where we'll eat our meals or how we'll get around. But those are just details.

What I really don't know is why God had led us here and what God has in store. I'm trying to focus on that - the wonderful surprises - more than the surprises that appear to be problems. Because if I focus too much on the details, I'm going to miss the big picture. And I'm pretty sure God brought me here for the big picture.

No comments: