Friday, June 10, 2011

Churches


I really shouldn't say that the churches in Germany have surprised me. I mean I took a class on Christian history. I know how the theology and architecture of Christianity have been closely connected. But still, it's a shock to see the ornate embellishments all around the sanctuary. The original idea was the lift the soul to worship God. The thought was that seeing all this beauty would give glory to God and edify the human soul. But honestly, it's a bit much.

Things have changed so much that it's almost laughable to see the gold-encrusted pulpit, towering over the people. There, the preacher would ascend and speak down to the gathered faithful from on high. In case anyone missed it, there was an angel over the pulpit blowing a horn. "This is a proclamation from God, people!"

I smiled and thought, "OK, just once, I'd like to preach from a pulpit like that. I mean, how could anyone fall asleep when I'm raining down a holy proclamation from a shiny golden pulpit?" And then I looked across from the pulpit. Directly across, also lifted up above the heads of the people, are statues of Christ on the cross, a crown on his head. Beneath him is Mary, a sword piercing her heart as Simeon said it would (Luke 2:34-35). How would it change my preaching to speak my words into the lifeless form of Christ, into the broken heart of his mother?

There is much we have gained in having our clergy speak from the congregation. "We are just human, one of you." But there may be something we've lost, too. "These words I speak are not just my own. I must speak them before Christ because they are his words."

1 comment:

Small Town Presbyterian said...

I'm so glad you felt that way. I visited so many cathedrals, basilicas, and churches while I was in Spain, and the recurring theme in my mind was, "why?" No one else understood, but I knew that it was about more than ornate decorations and architecture. It's about Jesus. Thank you.