Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Safari - Lake Manyara

This whole safari thing is a fluke. When I wrote the grant application, I mainly was looking to come to Tanzania to meet Erasto. But, since I didn't think I would get the grant anyway, I figured I might as well include a Tanzanian safari. But the thing is, I didn't know anything about safaris. I just researched enough to find a reputable company and get a price quote. And now, here we are, on a safari that we're learning about as we go.

And I have to say, if I had known how awesome it is, I would have been even more excited when I found out I got the grant! We thought the whole point was seeing wildlife - which we've certainly seen, and it's been great - but the real treat is the scenery. We've seen mountains, plains, a huge salt lake and a jungle, just in the first two days. And the lodges have been an experience all by themselves. Last night was in a tented lodge, and tonight is our own private cottage on a coffee plantation.

I must say, however, that I am more than a little uncomfortable with the fact that all the clients in the safari vehicles and the lodges are Americans and Europeans and all the guides and lodge workers are Africans. It feels very...colonial. But I keep reminding myself that tourism is an important part of the economy here, and at some level the Tanzanians who serve us are glad we're here. I just can't help but wonder, "how many of the people who work at a lodge have actually been on a safari?" My guess is, not too many.

But everyone is very gracious and welcoming, and we feel so grateful to see this amazing country. We're heading to Serengeti tomorrow, so we'll probably be out of internet range for a few days. I'll blog more about what we see when we're connected again.

No comments: